William Burnett for Sheriff Diversity and Growth in the City of Richmond
I am William Burnett, a veteran law enforcement officer with 28 years of experience with the Richmond Police and Sheriff’s Departments. I have held leadership roles in both agencies ranging from Police Sergeant to Colonel. I am a Veteran of the Gulf War, serving my country as a member of the United States Army. I attended Fayetteville State University where I received my bachelors in Criminal Justice. I want to use my extensive leadership and law enforcement experience to elevate the standards of morale, public safety and fiscal responsibility in order to improve the overall operating efficiency of the Richmond City Sheriff’s Office.
5 Major Campaign Objectives
- Retain a strong and effective relationship with the Richmond community
- Play a major role in reducing crime throughout the City of Richmond while emphasizing public safety and maintaining a strong and effective relationship with neighboring law enforcement agencies
- Connect with the community faith based programs and expand our outreach to support our youth, veteran, and those affected by mental health and substance use disorders
- Build a great working relationship with our courts system to give judges more alternatives to incarceration
- Train the existing deputy workforce to be Law Enforcement Officer trained
Responsibilities of the Richmond City Sheriff
The Sheriff is the only locally elected constitutional law enforcement officer in the Commonwealth of Virginia. What this means is that the Sheriff is accountable to you, the citizens of the City of Richmond. The major responsibilities of the Sheriff’s Office are security of the jail, civil processing, courtroom security, inmate transportation, community outreach and alternative sentencing,
My years of experience as a Richmond Police Officer(RPD), Drug Enforcement Officer, Violent Crime Detective, Intelligence Detective, RPD Sergeant, Richmond Sheriff’s Office Lt. Colonel and Colonel provided me with the tools to elevate the office to new levels.
You deserve a Sheriff who will make positive change for the City of Richmond, those residing in the city’s Justice Center and the men and women serving as deputies. You deserve a Sheriff who will lead by example. Help me transform the Sheriff’s Office into the Justice Center it was designed to be.
Connect With Us